My long answer was in Quiet Revolution in Welfare Economics,
Princeton University Press, 1990. It took 15 years and a long
book to come up with an answer that satisfied me to the question:
what should a radical mean by efficiency?

My short answer is: While radicals are right to be more worried
about equity and participation than efficiency, inefficiency is surely
not a good thing. To misuse people's work and/or the scarce productive
resources we have -- that is to get less beneficial goods and services,
less pleasurable work lives, or more destruction of the environment than
is necessary -- is not a good thing.

A good economy should be equitable and provide people with self-management
but should also be efficient.

Re capitalism: While capitalism is undesirble because it is inequitable
and denies most people effective self-management opportunities and
undermines human solidarity, it is also undesirable because, contrary
to its champions' claims, it is highly inefficient.

While capitalism is the most ENERGETIC economy humans have come up with
to date -- I am thinking in comparison to feudalism for example -- it
sets people off at frequently high levels of energy in very inefficient
directions.

Briefly, that is what I was referring to when I said that there are
compelling "efficiency" critiques of capitalism.