Gene writes:
[...]

>In that group of "most economists" I see cited all the time I think most
>would assert that you could compensate the losers out of the gains of the
>winners and thus make all better off.  I'm serious here.  I hear that
>explanation quite often for schemes that are just short of murder and
>smallpox.

This is a good point--I neglected this option in my earlier posts.  But the
question remains whether the compensation principle stands as "reasonable"
practice in neocleassical welfare theory.

Put it this way:  the ultimate neoclassical statement on these issues is
Arrow's Impossibility Theorem, which says roughly that there doesn't exist a
coherent social decision rule which simultaneously satisfies a) the Pareto
criterion b)non-dictatorship c)"independence from irrelevant alternatives"
(more on this one in a bit) and d) universal applicability (meaning
applicability no matter what the particular shape of people's preferences).

Now as Gene suggests, the compensation principle gets around the Arrow
impossibility result, but I don't think it's accepted as conventional wisdom
in neoclassical-land that the Arrow theorem has thereby been repudiated.
Here's the reason:  the compensation principle clearly violates the
"independence of irrelevant alternatives" assumption, because it presumes
the ability to measure the  relative *intensity* of preference (as captured
by the level of hypothetical compensation).  So is the IIA condition simply
irrelevant in light of the compensation principle?

Hardly.  It's one thing to say *in principle* that party A could compensate
party B for some change.  But in practice this encounters difficulties:  how
would anybody go about figuring out what the called-for level of
compensation is?  What, for example, would keep the potentially injured
party (appropriately enough, in the case of the Indian blanket and Nazi
genocide examples) from insisting on an astronomical level of compensation?
And on what basis could anybody insist that such demands were inappropriate
(how the hell could they tell?)?

So while the compensation principle sounds plausible (to a neoclassical) at
first, it turns out that it is essentially impossible to apply consistently
in practice, and therefore does not constitute a meaningful repudiation of
Arrow's Impossibility Theorem.  Therefore I stick with my original point:
by any reasonable (in this sense, internally coherent) neoclassical
interpretation, the examples originally advanced by Jim C. could not be
considered efficient.