Let me give you again my interpretation about the function of pen-l.  First
and formost, it is to give space to people to use their energies to further
progressive causes.  Yes, I know that we have no unanimity.  The
Clinton/Nader debate is a case in point.

I do not recall how old pen-l is, but I suspect that it is now going on 10
years.  I have intervened administratively less than a dozen times.  Some of
these interventions have been used to cool tempers as things became personal.
Others to ask people to stop communicating in a particular way.

Why should not anybody be allowed to say whatever they want here?  Someone,
Jim Craven?, mentioned the first ammendment.  Whatever the first ammendment
says, we have precious little space to address issues that come up in our
discussions.

Many, many people have told me that they enjoyed pen-l, but they signed off
because of the excess of chatter.  Some is fun chatter.  I makes pen-l lively
and enjoyable.  Some is a waste of time.  Many of those who have exited
fell to a sort of Gresham's law: worthless speech can drive out good speech.

Other people pay for pen-l by the message.  Here again, non-constructive
speech imposes a cost.

Most of the complaints about pen-l behavior come to me directly.  The case
of Mrs. Becker was an exception.  I try to act on these complaints in the way
I feel is best.

I apologize if my seemingly unilateral actions seem out of line.  Let me know
if you think that a different sort of policy would be better.
 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321