Michael,
The Winnipeg Folk Festival brought in the Tuva singers a few years
ago and I had the opportunity to see them several times.  In fact
they were so popular that the festival brought them back the
following year so I had the chance to see them once again. I have
never figured out how they managed to produced two notes at the
same time despite having had it explained to me by the Tuva
singers (through an interpreter) at the festival.

The term 'throat singing', however, is a bit misleading --  or perhaps
I should say confusing since that is the term used in Canada for
the unique Inuit form of music, sung mainly by women, but which is
quite different from the Tuva music.  This form of throat singing is
what I would describe as rythmic vocalism from deep in the throat
that produces an almost percussive effect and is often (normally?)
sung with more than one singer.  In any case, it is quite different
from the kind of music sung by the Tuva people -- though perhaps
on reflection, there is more in common than I had thought.   It
would be interesting to put the two groups together in a folk festival
workshop though finding a translator who could effectively
communicate with both groups might prove impossible.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba