>many good people at umass/amherst.  still, though, amherst struck me
>as an awfully "precious" little place.  in any event, i do apologize
>for perhaps implying what Pollin suggests I did.
>
>in solidarity,
>
>michael yates

Amherst may be precious but some of the folks there *are* engaged in
political work/education outside the University and outside the Amherst
area.

For example, to take just two, Rick Wolff has been active in political
(including labor) struggles against Yale University in New Haven, and Julie
Graham has, I believe, been part of the Center for Popular Education in
Amherst.

Personally, I, too, found Amherst *awfully* precious and left as soon as I
could. I prefer the Mission District of San Francisco. But that's purely a
matter of personal esthetics, and not a political judgement about people
who live or work in Western Massachusetts.

Blair Sandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Blair Sandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]