[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> question, of course, is whether women whose children are "illegitimate" are
> more likely to go on welfare than are women whose children were conceived
> "legitimately".  Are they?  Anybody have cites?

No question about it.  Just compare characteristics of the AFDC caseload
to the general population.  More incisive descriptive analysis can be
found in recent work at the Urban Institute by LaDonna Pavetti.  At
their
web site you can download her testimony "Time on Welfare and Welfare
Dependency," which has the most recent data on spells of which I'm
aware.

>         Another issue concerns teen pregnancy.  Unmarried teens are having
> children at about the same rate (relative to their numbers) today as they
> did 40 years ago.  If we consider that unmarried teens are most likely to
> have children due to (1) ignorance of birth control methods; (2) lack
> of alternative occupations; (3) coercion by older partner, then we have
> to ask whether these conditions are less prevalent in 1996 than they were
> 40 years ago.  I expect they're more prevalent.

(1) and (3) don't seem very likely, though I'm going by recollection
of literature read some time ago.  The women are not well-educated but
not dumb either.  They know where babies come from.  (3) is dubious
because the basic framing difficulty is that the men/boys are not
stable enough presences in the women's lives to coerce child-bearing.

I have a modicum of personal experience here because my wife and I
went through the process of adoption.  African-American babies are
not put up for adoption as often as one might think -- though they
are certainly available -- because the families take them in.  White
babies are scarce, relative to demand, as most people know.  The easiest
transaction, so to speak, is mixed-race babies which neither "community"
wants.

Your #(2) is most salient, going to the basic reason -- having a baby
at this point in time -- with or without welfare -- is more inviting
than other occupations or pastimes.

I have yet to ever hear anybody say in the public debate that for all
the problems of having children out of wedlock, and all the problems
experienced by the children themselves, at bottom the decision to go
to term is life-affirming. The "pro-life" voice would seem to be rele-
vant in this vein, but you don't hear it.  I speculate that this points
up the unfortunate way that the Catholic social teaching, clearly not
without its problems, is not prominent in the left-of-center landscape.

M.S.

Max B. Sawicky                  202-775-8810 (voice)
Economic Policy Institute       202-775-0819 (fax)
1660 L Street, NW               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite 1200
Washington, DC  20036