From: St. John, Andy (EPN/337)
To: Breen, Nancy
Subject: RE: [PEN-L:5786] re: new virus
Date: Thursday, August 22, 1996 3:25PM

PKZIP300 is:

     1) At least 2 years old

     2) Incapable of destroying modems

     3)  It is a "trojan horse" program rather than a virus.

The main difference is that a "trojan horse" does not infect systems and
spread to other files, it merely takes some sort of (generally destructive)
action.  In this can, it does wipe the hard drive, although I am not sure to
what exent it can be rebuilt.  I have never heard of a "cuckoo's nest"
virus.

I was one of many virus "bulletins" issued as hoaxes, purportedly by the
Department of Commerce.

 - Andy