My "great idea" in teaching (partially borrowed from the
 libertarians, ironically enough):

 I like to talk about negative externalities in terms of
 violation of one's property rights (partly as a prelude to a
 discussion about property rights as inherently ambiguous). Along
 these  lines, I talk about how the proverbial smoke from the
 proverbial factory _trespasses on peoples' lungs_.

 Further, I talk about such externalities _violate one's
 (negative) freedom_. Students these days are highly impressed by
 "freedom" arguments.

 One of my major points is that it's not just the government (the
 snake in the mainstreaam neoclassical's Garden of Eden) that
 violates individual freedom. It's also those who destroy the
 quality of the air that we breathe, etc. The advantage of the
 government is that at least we have some (nominal) control over
 its violations of our freedom; in theory it violates our freedom
 because we want it to (to deal with free-rider problems).

 I also talk about how (in theory) the government can _increase_
 our (positive) freedoms, i.e., by providing us with parks, etc.
 (An increase "freedom" in general refers to increases in the
 scope of choice.)

 Obviously, freedom is not my only concern; however, I do
 emphasize it (along with efficiency, equity, and democracy),
 unlike many leftists. I think that the emphasis on freedom was
 one of the major contributions of the New Left. However,
 following the Old Left, I try to avoid a moralistic (i.e.,
 objectively infeasible) emphasis on freedom.

 The immediate impact of pollution is not my only concern. I also
 stress the impact on future generations -- and on nature itself.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<74267,[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.