At 06:30 PM 9/3/96 -0700, you wrote:
 The REAL issue (in my humble opinion) is
>something along the lines of: what is it in our society that has led to
>almost epidemic incidences of sexual abuse and rape?

I completely agree with Maggie's post. By "our society" I guess you don't
mean just USA or Western society. What you say is true for most of the
societies in the world, except may be for a few very marginalized cultures.
In rural India most of the rape is an overt means of political repression of
the poor. If you dare to stand up to these fascist feudal lords, your wife
or daughter gets raped. ajit sinha