This is a response to Jim Devine's message, copied below.

I frankly did not understood what Steve meant by his off-the-cuff,
tongue-in-cheek (?) comment about "what you see is what you get." I didn't
think it helped explain anything, and I don't think your snide (so it seems
to me) response below is helpful either. Your whole post below appears to
be a critique of empiricism, which anyone even vaguely familiar with the
work of the Amherst School would have to acknowledge misses the target
entirely. In this sense your post *is* irrelevant. Herb Gintis once said
something which struck me as valid (gasp!  :)  ): it's easy, he noted, to
criticize something by attacking its weakest points. A strong critique
first builds the strongest case for its target and then attacks that
strongest target.

Jim, I really get the impression from you that you are not interested in
understanding overdetermination, or what people in the Amherst School are
doing, but rather simply in defending a more "traditional" (admittedly
intelligent and sophisticated) variant of Marxism. If you really are
interested, instead of spending your time attacking poor
metaphors/analogies/tongue-in-cheek characterizations, why not *read* the
works of people in the school. For one thing, your continued reference to
"Wolff/Resnick overdetermination" is disrespectful of the many people who
have contributed to the Amherst School's work, going beyond and in many
cases against Wolff and Resnick's original thinking. Jack Amariglio, David
Ruccio, Bruce Norton, J.K. Gibson-Graham (a.k.a. Julie Gibson and Katherine
Graham), Jonathan Diskin, Antonio Callari, John Roche, Carole Biewener,
Steve Cullenberg, Ric McIntyre, Jenny Cameron, Ulla Grapard, Andriana
Vlachou, Claire Sproul, are just a few of the many people who have
developed and applied the insights that spring from overdetermination in
interesting and productive ways on a wide range of topics, from gender to
race to ecology to culture to economics, as well as, of course,
specifically class. (These names are just those that spring to mind
immediately and I apologize for omitting other productive members of the
Amherst School.)

If anyone is interested in finding out for themselves what people around
the Amherst School are doing, I suggest you visit their  web site at
<http://www.nd.edu/~plofmarx/RM.html>. (This is actually the web page for
the journal RETHINKING MARXISM, which contains links to an extensive
bibliography of Amherst School members' work, to books by AS folks, and to
the upcoming international gala conference to be held this December, "The
Politics and Language of Marxism."

Regards,

Blair
[EMAIL PROTECTED]