Frank F. Klink wrote a piece which discussed property and ownership. I
thought this was interesting for the following reason:

In San Francisco, Blue Shield of California has billboard signs for their
Access HMO. Two I have seen are as follows:

You've lived in your body since day one. That makes you the boss.

You've lived in your body since you were born. That makes you the landlord.

I thought:

So suppose I'd lived in a rented house since the day I was born. Would that
make me the landlord? Or if I'd given my whole working life to one company,
would that make me the boss?

If I'm the landlord of my body, does that mean I can rent it out? Is this
billboard not really about health care but about legitimizing wage labor?

What does it do to us to think that our body is something we "own?"

Does anyone else think these messages are weird? Politically/culturally
significant? Is this old territory, written about and discussed ad nauseum
already?

Blair

Blair Sandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]