Doug repeats the standard pro-rock'n-roll line! Yes, Pete Seeger is a Harvard
drop-out, and no, he and many otheres weren't happy when Dylan plugged
in at Newport in 1965.

But 30 years later, Seeger is still at it, going around playing the
same songs on left fundraisers and events all year long. Dylan is still
at it too, but neither he nor the other rockers of that generation have
any overt connection with any politicla movement, outside the
still-powerful content of some of his songs. And even Dylan himself
proclaims disgust and the modern music scene and recording industry and
urges a return to old folk music songs (as on his last 2 albums) as the
most authentic stuff going.

The upshot is, I think both folk music itself and its practitioners
from Seeger through Si Kahn and beyond deserve considerable credit for
their political contributions...for those who plugged in the story is a
lot more ambiguous

Thad Williamson