I'm convinced it'll fail because of the well laid out arguments of people
like Bacon and Tabb (see March issue of Monthly Review). The strategy is
short sighted and will not jive with the American populace, who don't
blame China or trade with China for their problems.

Oh really?  On what is the last sentence based?
There are analyses of polling data that say
the contrary.  What have you got?

I say it will fail for same reason anti-Japan or anti-Mexico campaigns
have failed. They don't resonate with the experiences of Americans who
know just enough about these countries such that campaigns based on
exxageration (I mean just listen to some of the whacky things Harry Wu
says about China based on the ill-informed presupposition that Americans
will buy anything about China). Recall how quickly the anti-Japanese
sentiment in the 80's declined when the media started focusing on real
reasons for American failures in the Japanese market (the famous steering
wheel on the wrong side of the car comes to mind)..

What anti-Mexico campaign?  Are you talking about the
agitation against NAFTA, which was joined by the Mexican
left, not to mention the Zapatistas?  Or is the mexican
left anti-mexican?  I'd say the NAFTA campaign launched
the present movement, which is looking better every day,
so while NAFTA passed in political terms it was a plus
because it has been a factor in reviving the labor
movement.

There is no comparison between the inchoate Japan bashing
in the early 1980's and the present movement.  Trade deficits
eliminate jobs.  There are no two ways about it.  In
the U.S. we've had manufacturing jobs replaced by
lower paying service jobs.  Our employment is high
at the moment, while wage growth has been mediocre
for most of the present recovery (the most recent
years a bit better).

.If the whole of the
American ruling class or even a substantial portion of it were behind this
anti-China campaigning, well then it might be quite easy to mobilize US
opinion (this is what Wu demonstrates utterly no understanding of by the
way in his dopey generalizatins about "Americans")...But that's not the
case and therefore propaganda campaigns that are vulnerable to attacks for
being falsely based or based on hyperbole are very vulnerable (Nota bene
the Teamsters being called to task for lobbying for UPS's entry into
Chinese markets!!).

This makes no sense.  You can't be criticizing the
anti-globalization movement because it isn't backed
by the ruling class.  Even if Wu has been wrong
periodically, there is plenty to criticize the
PRC for.

And, of course, as the Chinese have already pointed out, even if the
Congress doesn't approve it, there are ways to circumvent that. So, even
if the 'strategy' succeeds, it fails...
Steve

Sounds like defeatism.  Also illogic.  If circumvention
were costless nobody would care about getting China into
the WTO. But apparently quite a few people care quite a bit.
What do you know that they don't?

mbs