Ted Winslow wrote:

Ted's description of Marshall seems to follow Keynes's description of Marshall.
Keynes's Marshall is an attractive figure.  The real Marshall was not.  While he
would, in his earlier years and even from time to time in the Principles, make
idealistic statements about labor, he was not pro labor.

Marshall, Alfred. 1925. Memorials of Alfred Marshall, Alfred Pigou, ed., p. 400
letters on a strike by engineering workers for an 8-hour-day in 1897 "I want these
people to be beaten at all costs: the complete destruction of unions would be as
heavy a price as it is possible to conceive, but I think it is not too high a
price."

As I mentioned in the last note, Marshall was instrumental in formalizing economics,
because he resented people from other fields interjecting themselves into economic
debates.
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department