Thank you Lou for your article about Crane World.

It happens that Pablo Trapero is a good friend of mine, a very creative 26
years old man. It has been admirable too the tenacity of Pablo in filming
this his first long film that I know from the very beginning. There is
something of the italian neorealism in his work, playing with non
professional actors, making a low budget film.

It is very true that Pablo's film is hopeless: the feeling that today we are
bad, but tomorrow it can be absolutely worse. It expresses what the last
twenty years have meant for us.

Pablo belongs to a generation who was born when the military coup in 1976.
They didn't live the peronism and the industrial Argentina. They only know
economic liberalism, retreat of the popular forces and, as you point it, the
retreat of trade unions and the impoverishment of workers and middle
classes. They are basically sceptical about politics. Better said, politics
means for them corruption and dirty business. They have no confidence in
political parties, don't like ideological discussions and prefer more films
and rock music than books and literature.

Fortunately, Pablo Trapero has kept a warm solidarity with his own social
roots, the low middle class of the Big Buenos Aires, this wide sea of
workers, unemployed people, little store owners and poor men and women. And
he likes the healthy tradition of realism.

I'm very glad that you could see the film in NY.

Un abrazo
Julio FB

Louis Proyect