Louis Proyect wrote:

>[The current issue of the Nation Magazine has an article by John Dignes
>that supports the NPR-ization of the radical FM radio network that
>broadcasts Doug Henwood's excellent radio show as well as some other show
>that at least to me are less than excellent. But radical they are. The
>Nation article has touched off an interesting series of posts on their
>bulletin board, including this one by Bob Feldman]
>
>Your article fails to mention the role a major investor in The Nation, Alan
>Sagner, has played in promoting the NPRization/Corporatization process at
>Pacifica's 5 radio stations. Nation Investor Sagner has been the chairman
>of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting board during the 1990s. And he
>sat on the CPB board during a period when a magazine in which he invests,
>The Nation, was able to increase its subscriptions by using Pacifica's
>radio stations to promote the magazine on the Pacifica-aired Radio Nation
>program.

Thanks for the kind words, Lou, but I've been reading Feldman's stuff
for years on the FreePacifica lists, and he's really off base on
this. Feldman takes a useful technique - tracing board links and such
- and goes into overdrive with it. I'm not unfamiliar with the
internal workings of The Nation, and believe me, Sagner has no
influence on the magazine's content. There are many stories one could
tell about The Nation and Pacifica, but that's not one of them.

Doug