Brad, you are not missing anything! I was making a critical comment on
Bates' approach to development. I am assuming we are talking about the same
Bates here (Robert). Regarding his _Markets and States_, I don't completely
disagree with the fact that state-led development had biases towards small
agricultural producers in Africa. This is evident. What I don't agree is
that Bates treats this problem as if it is simply state's choice to promote
export strategy or behave in certain ways to disbenefit rural producers.
Bates' method is methodologically individualistic. He treats states as
individuals.  Accordingly, he disregards world systemic dynamics, or the
question of why Africa was left with promoting a "certain" type of
development strategy. I think this methodological problem is more evident in
his later book _Toward a political economy of development: a rational choice
perspective_

that is what i meant...

Mine

--