or
>the Economic Policy Institute find some trade liberalization it
>favors. But it almost never happens. <
>
>Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://liberalarts.lmu.edu/~jdevine

Come now - I bet EPI would support China and Japan liberalizing their
trade laws!
Doug

Et tu, Henwood?

Let me suggest -- as if you could stop me -- that
in a world of unequal endowments of capital, levels
of consumption and income among different nations'
working classes, capital flows and trade should be
regulated to raise the bottom without aggrieving
the best-fed wc's.  With decent employment,
wage growth, and trade balance, the richer nations
are more likely to make concessions in such areas as
tech transfer, debt relief/repudiation, unrestricted
aid, and more liberal immigration.

It would be perfect justice to simply redistribute
from the top down, but utterly futile politics to
suggest any such thing.  If anything would empower
Buchanan, it would be such a stance.  Such empowerment
seems to gratify some people because it fortifies
their animus towards a public that is unresponsive
to their moralizing.

We need an open-economy notion of class program.
We've got suggestions for abolition of IFI's,
the-enemy-of-the-US-is-my-friend, change the
subject to something I care about but nobody
else does (i.e., US out of SKorea).  Patrick
is on the right track, I think, given my limited
knowledge of the subject, but still a little
Out There.

mbs