I don't know if this helps to requested info on regulation theory..

Mine

>Although I have not read it, the paper abstracted below seems very
>interesting. I plan to obtain it soon. Some of you may also find it
>interesting.

>Cheers,

>McKeever

>"The Political Economy of Protectionism and Industrial Policy"

      BY:  HADI SALEHI ESFAHANI
              University of Illinois
           MUNIR MAHMUD
              Pennsylvania State University
              Dept. of Economics

Document:  Available from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection:
           http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=150730

Paper ID:  Working Paper No. 98-0111
    Date:  June 1998

 Contact:  HADI SALEHI ESFAHANI
   Email:  Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Postal:  University of Illinois
           210DKH
           1206 South Sixth Street
           Urbana, IL 61801  USA
   Phone:  (217)333-2681
     Fax:  (217)333-1398
 Co-Auth:  MUNIR MAHMUD
   Email:  Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Postal:  Pennsylvania State University
           Dept. of Economics
           609 Kern Building
           University Park, PA 16802-3306  USA

Paper Requests:
 Contact Illinois Research and Reference Center, 128 Library,
 1408 West Gregory Drive, Urbana IL 61801 USA. Fax:(217)244-0398;
 Phone:(217)333-1958. Basic fee is $10.
 http://www.library.uiuc.edu/library/irrc/default.htm

ABSTRACT:
 This paper develops a model of trade and industrial policy where
 the politicians in charge of the government can direct the rents
 generated by their policies toward their political or economic
 objectives through different channels: lobbying, taxation,
 regulation, and tariff and quota allocation. Different
 mechanisms are distinguished by their point of rent extraction
 and differences in resource waste for each dollar of transfer.
 In conjunction with industrial policy, specific asset formation
 is also endogenized. We show that many characteristics of the
 model's equilibria transcend specific channels of rent
 extraction that prevail. The parameters that represent the
 effectiveness of rent transfer through various channels play a
 mediating role. The results show that the relationships between
 these parameters and policy outcomes may be different from those
 based on single-channel models. We show that under reasonable
 conditions, a variety of parameter changes induce a positive
 relationship between the restrictiveness of policies toward
 domestic and foreign competition. This helps explain a number of
 important empirical regularities such as the positive
 association of protection with import penetration and
 output-capital ratio. The model also offers a guide for
 empirical research on the role of lobbying and other rent
 extraction mechanisms in policy-making.

JEL Classification: F13, L52
_