Eric Nilsson wrote:

> Next fall I'll be teaching an introductory course on a variety
> of different economic topics. The focus will be on the U.S.
> The course will focus on issues, not on the use/misuse of
> economic theory of any particular brand.

> What readings for a class mostly of first year college
> students would people recommend on topics like:
> the "bankruptcy" of social security, immigration, income
> distribution/standard of living changes, size of goverment
> and growth/efficiency, healthcare, debt/deficit, and so on.
>
> Does EPI or similar organization put out a reader. I haven't
> used URPE material ("XXX in the real world") in recent years;
> does such stuff still exist, is it any good, is it appropriate for
> a non-principles course, it it up-to-date?

EPI put out a book this past year called Reclaiming Prosperity
which is an anthology of policy articles proposing progressive
alternatives on a wide range of problems, including many you
list above.  It would be suitable for students.  It would not
fulfill the type of function served by the URPE/Dollars and
Sense material, e.g., parsing basic theoretical issues.  Our
State of Working America will be available around Christmas
and will be very up-to-date in terms of providing data on a
wide assortment of economic trends (especially wages, taxes,
and income distribution).  Check our web page (EPINET.ORG)
for more info, or call me any time.

MS

Max B. Sawicky                  202-775-8810 (voice)
Economic Policy Institute       202-775-0819 (fax)
1660 L Street, NW               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite 1200
Washington, DC  20036