BLS DAILY REPORT, THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17, 1996

_____Rising food and apparel prices pushed the consumer price index for
all urban consumers to a seasonally adjusted 0.3 percent increase in
September, BLS reports.  Food prices, which have risen sharply in the
last three months, jumped 0.5 percent in September ....Helping offset
rising food prices, energy costs remained flat in September after
dipping 0.6 percent in August ....The CPI core rate rose 0.3 percent,
driven up by a 0.5 percent apparel price increase after declining 1.4
percent in August ....(Daily Labor Report, pages 1,D-1)
_____Consumer inflation quickened in September but the moderate increase
was dominated by seasonal quirks and reimposition of the tax on airline
tickets ....(New York Times, page D1; USA Today, page 1B).
_____Mild inflation is continuing, new data show.  Consumer prices
increased 0.3 percent during September; one-time factors are cited
....(Wall Street Journal, page A2).

The Social Security Administration announces that Social Security
recipients will receive a 2.9 percent increase in their benefits by
January.  The cost-of-living increase is linked to the rise in September
in the CPI-W and will amount to an average gain of $21 a month for
Social Security beneficiaries ....It is good news for the economy that
the inflation rate has remained below 3 percent for the last four years,
said the AARP.  "The bad news is that some policymakers claim the CPI
overstates inflation and want to reduce their COLA by one percentage
point," the AARP said.  Determining the accuracy of the CPI remains a
technical issue best left to experts in BLS and in the private sector,
the association said ....(Daily Labor Report, pages 2,A-3; Wall Street
Journal, page B5; USA Today, page 1B).

About 60 million Americans -- approximately one in five -- will get a
2.9 percent increase in their government checks next year as a result of
cost-of-living adjustments in Social Security payments, veterans
benefits, and federal pensions.  Under federal law, the annual
adjustments are based on the over-the-year change in the CPI.  The final
calculation was made after the Labor Department reported that the index
rose 0.3 percent last month, primarily because of higher prices for
food, new model cars, fall clothes, and a resurrected federal tax on
airline tickets ....These annual cost-of-living increases have recently
become the subject of political controversy.  Budget experts warn that
the steady rise in such entitlement payments will soon bankrupt the
federal government as the giant baby boom generation begins to qualify
for the benefits.  And economist argue that the adjustments are higher
than they need to be because they are tied to the CPI, which overstates
the annual inflation rate by 1 percentage point or more.  Both issues
will confront the next president and the next Congress as they struggle
to craft a plan to balance the federal budget after the year 2000
....(Washington Post, page D1).

Inflation-adjusted earnings of most U.S. workers rose 0.8 percent in
September, reflecting an expansion of hours worked and an advance in
hourly pay, according to BLS ....(Daily Labor Report, page D-10;
Washington Post, page D4; Wall Street Journal, page A2).

>From transcript of Presidential Debate:
President Clinton, part of answer to a question about the family leave
act -- "We've had record numbers of new small businesses and 10-1/2
million jobs ...."
Robert J. Dole, part of answer to a question about imports -- "Well,
right, we've lost 357,000 manufacturing jobs.  And the Bureau of Labor
Statistics said today that they made a mistake, it's probably going to
be a much, much higher figure. So we're talking about all these new
jobs, we'd better wait and see what the results are ...."
President Clinton, part of answer to question about imparts -- "We lost
a lot of manufacturing jobs in the 12 years before I became president.
We've gained manufacturing jobs since I've been president ...."