ON UNION-BUSTING ACCUSATIONS AT AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL:

EDITORIAL NOTE:  Below is a message from the Amnesty International Board
Chair responding to a note I forwarded about accusations of
union busting at AI offices.  I have no personal knowledge of exactly what
happened in the union campaign, but I find the comments below as
disturbing as the original accusations.
        In his note, Mr. Winston not only defends his own actions but
defends anti-union legislation that strips many workers of their right to
organize--a disturbing position for any leader of a human rights
organization.  For people's information, the exclusion of a broad range of
supervisory employees from the right to organize in unions dates from the
anti-union 1947 Taft-Hartley Law which which in large measure crippled the
US labor movement in this country.  It is Orwellian for Mr. Winston to
argue that "the law is written as it is to protect the interests of non-
supervisory employees."  The exclusion of supervisory employees and the
whole legal delays in employers using such exclusions to delay votes and
intimidate employees are key facets of why unionization has become so hard
in this county.
        Again, it is an abomination for a leader of a human rights
organization to justify such anti-union laws that strip large number of
employees of rights.
        One final note; while I have no personal knowledge of this case, I
personally worked at a fundraising firm back in 1989-90 hired by AI (among
other groups) to do fundraising.  WHen we sought to organize a union,
similar union-busting attacks using intimidation of supervisors was used
to stop the union drive.
        I am saddened that a group I have supported in the past, like AI
would defend right-wing anti-union laws in this country.
        --Nathan Newman, moderator

p.s.  If you have a response for AI, please send all mail to Rena Margulis
who is fielding e-mail for the organization.  Send e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]