I can't relate this to postmodernism but I can tell you something about
dental workers.  If this person was scraping your teeth my guess is she  is
a dental hygienist rather than a dental assistant, unless N. Dakota has
different practice standards.  Dental hygiene is a licensed occupation and
most practitioners would probably consider themselves professionals as
opposed to blue collar workers.  Education for DHs in Oregon is either
through 2 year community college programs or bachelor's degree programs. As
I'm writing this their position begins to sound similar to registered
nurses.

My connection with dental hygienists is in investigating the health and
safety hazards of their jobs.  I can tell you that their exposures to
physical stress and strain (as well as bloodborne diseases) places them at
levels of risk of work-related injury and illness far higher than many
industrial workers, so in that respect their work may qualify as blue
collar.  Their work seems to be increasingly routinized, as they spend much
of their time repetitively scaling (scraping) teeth.  My understanding is
that dental hygiene is a big money maker for dentists because it's a steady
insurance-paid revenue stream.  If you want to get into the pecking order
of dental hygienists and dental assistants, that opens up another whole
issue.  Dental assistants, while some may also consider it a profession,
are definitely at the low end of the hierarchy in dental offices.  In fact
looking at health studies of all the dental professions, a major
psychosocial risk factor for assistants seems to be the low value placed on
their work by dentists.

There.  Is that more than you ever wanted to know about dental workers?

Steve Hecker

>Hi Folks!
>

>        The other day I was at my dentist's office for checkup and
>cleaning. As the dental assistant was scraping my teeth I was thinking: is
>she blue collar or white collar worker? I know she is "unproductive"
>worker. Can someone care to comment?
>
>                                                Fikret
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>+Fikret Ceyhun                                  voice:  (701)777-3348 work +
>+Dept. of Economics                                     (701)772-5135 home +
>+Univ. of North Dakota                          fax:    (701)777-5099      +
>+University Station, Box 8369            e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] +
>+Grand Forks, ND 58202/USA                                                 +

Steven Hecker
Labor Education and Research Center
1289 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-1289
USA
tel: 541-346-2788       * Note new area code now in effect
fax: 541-346-2790
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]