Antonio writes: >>. I would ask all of the people with whom we
 have been having a discussion to disassociate themselves from
 these attacks and to condemn them. <<

 Sure, I'll absolutely condemn the personal attacks on leftist
 professors that have shown up on pen-l. Such attacks don't
 belong on pen-l. I also apologize again to Rhon Baiman for my
 own slur that inadvertently (or rather due to my own
 absent-mindedness) showed up on pen-l. I also think it's
 unproductive of good conversation to call someone a
 "less-than-gentleman."

 That said, I have a comment. I notice something in the above
 quote and in other things that Antonio (and Steve) have said.
 Perhaps it's my own inability to do literary analysis (;-)),
 but I sure get the feeling that rather than being a discussion
 of the pros and cons of postmodern Marxism (which is what I
 had been thinking it was), it's only a small piece of a larger
 totality. There's some sort of war that's been going on for a
 long time. It's not just about postmodern Marxism vs. the
 other types of Marxism and leftist thought that are in
 circulation. It's not just about stereotyped pomo vs.
 stereotyped "traditional Marxism" (which should be plural,
 shouldn't it?) Rather, there's a large amount of personal
 animosity that's accumulated over the years, linked to old
 battles at U.Mass-Amherst (the nature of which I have just the
 barest inkling). I don't really understand that animosity, but
 that's one of my blindspots.

 This hypothesis explains why Rhon B.'s cavalier and seemingly
 off-the-wall comments provoked more heat than required. Or why
 my efforts to get a handle on what "postmodern Marxism" is
 exactly are ignored. Or why my profession of ignorance (not
 knowing "Derrida from dogfood") gets interpreted as an
 _attack_, seemingly justifying skipping over the rest of my
 missive. Or why Doug's silly reposting of an article about
 identity politics was not interpreted as an effort to be
 humorous. Or why the quote from Antonio above (and some of his
 recent messages) suggests that the anti-pomotistas (or those
 who have doubts about postmodern Marxism) are some sort of
 unified force. But again, I may be over-interpreting.

 Or maybe the problem is simply that e-mail makes
 communications more difficult, so that we have to use
 emoticons (smileys) as much as possible. Or maybe we should
 avoid all humor, sarcasm, irony, etc.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.