At 6:45 AM 11/27/96, Gerald Levy wrote:

>Consequently, although I think we should support the right of teen women
>to have children, we can not ignore the tremendous cost (in financial and
>other terms) that having children at that age has for the prospects of
>increased income and job opportunities for the mother or the affect of
>this development on the families of the mother and the communities that
>they live in.

Seems to me that the disadvantages suffered by single parents are only a
more intense version of those suffered by a parental pair: the absence of a
civilized welfare state, income volatility, the expense of education and
childcare, etc. Women obviously suffer the increased injury of
discrimination. The orthodox, from Clinton rightwards, want to make
families absorb the costs of cutbacks in the welfare state. By conceding
anything on this issue, we're letting them set the terms of debate (but of
course, since they own the press, they have a natural advantage in
term-setting).

Empirically speaking - and I know what high regard you have for empirical
work, Jerry - there's no evidence that early childbearing has any "affect"
on the long-term employment prospects of poor women.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer