On 11 Dec 96 at 6:57, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I was fascinated by the news that Joseph Stiglitz will become chief
> economist of the World Bank. Can someone tell me what Stiglitz'
> qualifications for this job are? What does he know about, and what has his
> work contributed to, economic development and poverty reduction? Are the
> problems of the Third World the result of information asymmetry?

Actually, he's done a ton of other stuff in public finance, some of
it pretty non-mainstream, though I would be at a loss to say how it
relates to development or poverty.

JS has been a big disappointment to we nouveau-classicals (I've
started my own school of thought, with an enrollment of one), since his
theoretical work is pretty hip but his politics after joining the CEA
have been utterly from hunger.

MS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute.