You Can't Take It With You When You Go

I've got a friend who's a workaholic, never knows when to quit
Me I knock off early, oh, every chance I get
He's got an IRA for a rainy day, but I wonder if he knows
That you can't take it with you when you go
While I'm out fishing, you bet he's working hard
My little boat's in the water, his big boat sits in the yard
While I'm making time with that gal of mine, his love life's on hold
And you can't take it with you when you go
No you can't take it with you when you go
You better take some time to live and love before you get too old
All the treasures in the world don't mean a thing when they lay you low
'Cause you can't take it with you when you go
Now hard work is a virtue, nothin' wrong with that
I ain't afraid to pull my weight, but I ain't gonna break my back
I ain't worried about my bank account, just let the good times roll
'Cause you can't take it with you when you go

(From the debut Bluegrass album "Wires & Wood" by the Johnny Staats
Project. Following the release of the CD, Staats--a UPS driver--continues
to hold down his day job delivering parcels.)

Louis Proyect