Jim Devine wrote:

>What's the leftist explanation of this trend?

A couple of years ago, I interviewed a bunch of crime pundits on the
downtrend. The consensus was: 1) the decline of crack (driven,
several of them said, by younger people seeing how ravaged their
older siblings and neighbors were by the drug), 2) a smaller teen
population, and 3) community policing. I can't vouch for these
explanations, but they were given by people from the "left" to the
center.

CB: I have to agree with Jim D. that the drop in unemployment would be a traditional
left mentioned factor.  Leftists usually argue that crime is economically based, and
there is an obvious coincidence of the down trend in the two "stats" in this empirical
case.

CB