Louis is right!

Mine

ps: I don't know how this message looks like. my server practically does
not work now..

>This seems correct -- but it also seems to indicate the irrelevance or

>even obscurantist nature of long arguments about whether some other

>people are/were happier in Situation A rather than Situation B.

>Carrol

You don't seem to get it. This is not about a "Golden Age". It is whether

radicals should defend the right of peasants to live in conditions that

people like Walt Rostow or others view as "primitive". Marxism has tended

to err on the side of Rostow. If you look at "Marxism and Social
Democracy:

The Revisionist Debate 1896-1898", edited and translated by H. and J.M.

Tudor, you will discover that Edward Bernstein cited the Communist

Manifesto in support of colonialism in Morocco. Between the rude

"tribalism" of the Moroccans and the "civilizing" role of the Europeans,

Bernstein aligned himself with the latter. Citing slavery and pasha

despotism, he claimed that "modern democratic institutions" were
necessary.