Doug,
     I agree that 2.5% is fairly puny, although this may be
understating things, as I have suggested and a lot of
people think, based on measurement problems.  But, if you
read my statement carefully I said "compared to its past
relative performance."  Thus, how does that 2.5% compare
with Europe, Asia, Latin America, the former Soviet bloc,
and Africa compared to how the US rates were during the
late 1980s and the beginning of the 1990s?  Is it not the
case that the rest of the world did much better than the
US, especially in the late 1980s, compared to how they are
doing now?  That was my point, Ru, :-).
Barkley Rosser
PS:  Eat well, :-) :-) :-).

--