On 17 May 00, at 14:05, Ted Winslow wrote:

> Marx has appropriated idea of "practical-laboring activity" as
> self-determination from Kant and Hegel.

in the process transforming its meaning and, as Habermas would
say, reducing it to "techne", and though there is a critical reflective
aspect to Marx, it is still strictly in terms of class consciousness.

Kant:
> "By right we ought only to describe as art, production through freedom, i.e.
> through a will that places reason at the basis of its actions.  For although
> we like to call the product of bees (regularly built cells of wax) a work of
> art, this is only by way of analogy; as soon as we feel that this work of
> theirs is based on no proper rational deliberation, we say that it is a
> product of nature (of instinct).
>     "If, as sometimes happens, in searching through a bog we come upon a bit
> of shaped wood, we do not say, this is a product of nature, but of art.  Its
> producing cause has conceived a purpose to which the plank owes its form.
> Elsewhere too we should see art in everything which is made, so that a
> representative of it in its cause must have preceded its actual existence
> (as even in the case of bees), though without the effect of it even being
> capable of being thought.  But if we call anything absolutely a work of art,
> in order to distinguish it from a natural effect, we always understand by
> that a work of man." Kant, Critique of Judgement (Bernard translation),
> p.145-6

This is one cognitive faculty among two others; Marx goes too far
in his reduction of Kant's practical (ethical) judgement to bourgeois
consciousness; it is true that this is a form of judgement *that has
developed* and is not the self-expression of an abstract ego, but I
think it is important that we understand that the French
revolutionaries were actually realizing this rational moral agent.

Hegel:
> "Man is not only immediate and single, like all other natural things; as
> mind, he also reduplicates himself, existing for himself because he thinks
> himself.  He does this, in the first place, theoretically, by bringing
> himself into his own consciousness, so as to form an idea of himself.  But
> he also realizes himself for himself through practical activity.  This he
> does by reshaping external things, by setting the seal of his inner being
> upon them, thereby endowing them with his own characteristics.  Man's
> spiritual freedom consists in this reduplicating process of human
> consciousness, whereby all that exists is made explicit within him and all
> that is in him is realized without.  Here not only artistic making but all
> human behaving and explaining whether in the forms of political and moral
> action, religious imaginative awareness, or scientific knowledge--has its
> ground and necessary origin."  (Hegel, Aesthetics, pp. 3-4)

Hegel thought that Kant's three forms of judgement could be
reconstituted under Reason...runnning out of time, see below for a
bit more.

> In the third thesis on Feuerbach, Marx explicitly rejects the "materialism"
> which excludes any role for self-determination and which implicitly
> underpins the idea that "good" people can be "constructed"  through
> coercive imposition.

That's just one sentence about which too much fuss has been
made due to a religious reading of Marx. But I think Lenin was right
that the concept of the dictatorship of the proletariat is already
there in Marx: you have to be naive politically to think that the
radical policies which Marx is calling for - as in the Manifesto - can
be accomplished without coercion.

The concept of self-determination in Faust has to be sublated, and
it in fact was sublated later in European thinking, as Hegel showed
in the Phen.