This is interesting because I was always under the impression that state
intervention has been rather high in Japan.  Perhaps this intervention
does not show up as a budget deficit, but directing the economy to raise
aggregate demand has always been a Japanese feature.  This has been done
largely through industrial policy, in an environment of favorable macro
policies.  It could be argued that industrial policy could generate
longer term growth (intergenerational) than fiscal policy which is by
definition aimed to deal with the short term.  I am aware of course
that separating growth rates over the long haul from ind policy and
Keynesian policy may be difficult.

On a related note my discussion with Japanese academics and ministry
officials also gave me an impression that Keynesian ideas are quite
strong in the establishment.  Public spending, particularly in
infrastaructural development, has been common.

Perhaps the change is a new twist, delighting the NYT which loves to see
the rest of the world emulate the US:).

Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor                     Senior Fellow
Comparative International Development   Department of Economics
University of Washington                National University of Singapore
1103 A Street                           10 Kent Ridge Crescent
Tacoma, WA 98402 USA                    Singapore 119260