At 6:04 PM 1/17/97, Michael Perelman wrote:

>I would go beyond what Doug says about the fuzzy boundary between
>finance and industry.  Old time capitalists were more rooted in their
>industry.  Today, everything is screened via ROI, everything is treated
>as if it is saleable, capable of being securitized ....

Absolutely, but I wouldn't then want to go say this made finance
epiphenomenal, or secondary, or parasitical, or euthanizable, or any of the
other things that people sometimes say. Capitalist production is about the
accumulation of money and the transformation of everything into monetary
values.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood