Forwarded message:
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sat Feb  1 10:53 PST 1997
Date:         Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:52:07 -0500
Sender: Forum on Labor in the Global Economy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Sam Lanfranco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      Labor Bookstore and Charge Cards
To: Multiple recipients of list LABOR-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just for the record, I attended a session in Edinburgh a week ago where
the VISA Credit Card company previewed the VISA/Master Charge online
Charge serevice they will be rolling out to their customers (the "stores"
online and off) in the next couple of months. The level of security and
verification is greater than it is when you hand you card to a clerk in a
store. While from the 'belly of the beast' such services should help the
progressive goods and services providers use internet marketing as a way
of reaching new audiences and being more sustainable.

How many of us have dealt with progressive publishing companies that have
died or been damanged when their wholesale distributers have gone belly up
and not paid for stock received!!! At least with the internet sale of the
merchandise the publisher can sell direct and be assured of secure
collection - using the beast's charge card services -

Sam Lanfranco

 /  Sam Lanfranco, Distributed Knowledge Project, c/o CERLAC 240 YL, \
| York University, 4700 Keele Street, North York, ONT, CANADA M3J 1P3 |
|   FAX (416) 736-5737 - Ph (416) 736-5237 - Pag/Cell (416) 816-2852  |
| Bellanet/IDRC/Ottawa: Ph (613) 236-6163, ext 2263  Fax (613) 238-7230 |
|  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  =  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  =  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |
| YorkWeb-> www.yorku.ca/research/dkproj / BellaWeb->  www.bellanet.org |