I am having a little difficulty believing I am on a 'progressive'
economics network and yet reading the stuff that is being posted.

1. during the war (2nd WW) the unemployment rate fell to
around 1% without any structural and frictional constraints
but within the framework of  a strict f
(that should be) fiscal and monetary policy framework.  So
it is not the economic constraints that determine the rate
of unemployment, but the political (class power) constraints.

2.  In the post-war studies, the Phillips curve analysis gave
an approximate trade-off of 3-4% inflation for 3-5% unemployment.
What has changed?  What is the  great structural change that
caused this tradeoff to jump to this new, mythical, NAIRU (or
NRU) of which there is nothing natural except the gullibility of
the population and the culcability of the polititians.

3.  The dual (segmented) labour market analysis is so much more
sophisticated and  complex than the version given here that I
weep for our profession.  It is frustrating to see such simplistic
first-year neoclassical analysis passing off as so-called radical
analysis.

Get with it!

Paul Phillips,
Economics,