rakesh bhandari wrote:

>If Indonesian capital can escape the contradiction between production and
>consumption through the export of consumer goods--as suggested by Jim-- why
>can't US capital escape the same contradiction through the export of
>investment goods to markets in Asian and Europe? In other words, hasn't the
>"globalization" of investment demand allowed US capital to escape the
>limits of insufficient domestic consumer demand and thus terminate the
>Marxian contradictions?

In 1995, Indonesian exports were 25% of GDP, US, 10% (unchanged, according
to World Bank figures, from 1980). Increasing the US export share by 15%
would mean that world markets would have to absorb an additional $1.05
trillion - i.e., roughly the GDP of Britain or Italy. A pretty hard task.

By the way, are we sure Indonesia has escaped the contradictions? A friend
of mine who used to work at a financial wire service interviewed the
governor of the central bank when he was in New York selling bonds. She
asked him why, given that Indonesia had a crony-dominated business sector
that wasn't internationally competitive and a wreck of a domestic financial
system, anyone should buy his paper. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat
and his attempt at an answer failed miserably. He did sell the bonds though.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer