>Posted on 28 Apr 1997 at 00:33:03 by TELEC List Distributor (011802)
>
>[PEN-L:9681] Re: globalization question
>
>Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 21:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Michael Hoover responded to my question about the integration of the U.S.
>South into the national economy, saying that the government expended
>considerable resources to encourage investment there.
>
>Why did they have to expend funds?  Why was the investment so slow in
>coming.  I have seen references to the delay noting the lack of air
>conditioning until the 1960s and the lack of infrastructure until the
>interstate highways began in the 1950s.  But surely conditions are more
>difficult in Haiti or Vietnam.
>
>Any other comments?
> --
>Michael Perelman
>Economics Department
>California State University
>Chico, CA 95929
>
>Tel. 916-898-5321
>E-Mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Michael,

Perhaps some of the explanation lies in different forms of ownership and
capital mobility.  Expansion into the 1950's U.S. south was led by branch
plants and firms relocating there (the latter is particularly true of
New England textile firms).  Globalization in the 1990s has the capital
flows, but not the ownership flows.  Much offshore production is done
by foreign-owned subsidiaries (witness the recent strike against a Nike
supplier in I think it was Thailand, or some other Southeast Asian
country).  U.S. managers may only consider air conditioning to be
important when their own skins are involved.

Marsh Feldman                               Phone: 401/874-5953
Community Planning, 204 Rodman Hall           FAX: 401/874-5511
The University of Rhode Island           Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kingston, RI 02881-0815