The following is an extract from a personal note from a friend:

By the way, I was saddened to see the MRTA written off as pathetic losers
on pen-l.  I know that they made mistakes and had forged few links with
the urban masses all they did have some good will in one far off province.

Here is the message I received:

There were about 10 high ranking police members between the hostages.  A
short time ago, one of the police was released.  It is believed that the
Police that was set free, carried a code that the people inside knew they
could use, like for example, "whe the troopers are about to storm, put
laundry on the such a roof" or something like it.  So that is why the
people in the inside knew to get out of harms way.

It is a criminal act, a crime, mentioned in, I believe a Constitutuional
amendment to show sympathy for revolutionaries.
The answer is no.
The Head of the Catholic Church in Per^? cried on national TV for the dead
rebels and the mother of Cerpa Cartolini was interviewed by the news press
making a statement about how places responsibility of her son's dead on
the
Government.  I do not see many people caring about a youth gang.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321