>>> Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/April/1997 03:54pm >>>
>What exactly is the role of South Africa? Is it simply a site for
>negotiations or does Thabo Mbeki have a stake in a "democratically
>elected" government in Zaire rather than one that comes to power
>through armed struggle. Wouldn't a radicalized Zairean state power
>undermine the neoliberal experiments of the ANC?

Some random thoughts... SA has had the most eclectic and
internally-contradictory foreign policy since 1994 of any country I've ever
heard of. Ties to Cuba, Libya and Syria seem to really piss off
imperialism, but generally SA is a demonstration country for elite political
transition underlaid by neo-lib macroeconomics. Mbeki's in Washington at
present; the talks between Kabila's forces and the Zaire government are
underway near Pretoria; but far more interesting is regional
subimperialism, particularly a meeting this week between De Beers
diamond mining empire and the rebels over the diamond mines that Kabila
recently captured. Copper in the southeast just fell into his hands as
well. And geopoliticians here are wondering about how all of this may
affect the other Great Lakes conflicts, with Uganda's Museveni at the
centre of support for rebel forces throughout the region. Possibly a
redrawing of national boundaries awaits. Yet all of this is too far away
to have any impact on SA directly; refugee traffic from Zaire has been
moderate, but no big increase is expected. Jo'burg and parts of Kinshasa
are tightly linked through crime syndicates, but formal trade with Zaire is
minimal. I don't think the class character of Kabila's movement can be
predicted; even if they took a left turn, there is so much space, cultural
differences and a language barrier separating SA from Zaire that all most
people here are hoping for is a quick capture of Kinshasa and some
stability in the region so that SA troops aren't brought up to do
peacekeeping work along US lines. The ANC of course holds no truck for
Mobutu due to his close ties to apartheid-era SA. But while Kabila's old
left perspectives are humorously remarked on here, there are no historic
ties of any magnitude to SA liberation forces. I also get no hint of any
Chiapas-type reactions to neoliberalism in Zaire; the closest are some
comrades at Makaresh University in Uganda. But it's a long struggle to
network, much less unite the various ongoing strands of practical
anti-neolib activity up-continent...