Richardson_D wrote:

>I ran some numbers for you from Jan., 1978 through Jan., 1997, the
>longest period for which BLS has the required series with integrity.
> The CPI increased by 154.6% over that period while "Tuition and Other
>School Fees" increased by 327.7% and "New Vehicles" were up 95.1%.
> The price of the vehicles increased by 143.9% but this was somewhat
>mitigated since 33.9% of the increase was considered due to quality
>improvements.  No quality adjustments were made to Tuition.
>
>It is somewhat difficult to comment on you numbers without more
>specific references.  However, as I remember it, the decline in the
>real hourly wage (your 16% is what I remember) refers to the median
>wage while the Consumer Expenditure Survey results refer to the avenge
>household.  Since the income distribution has gotten much more unequal
>recently, the average has increased faster than the median.  The
>result is that it takes the median family the income from more work
>hours to purchase what the average family purchases.

The "new car" series is the "average blended import/domestic" from the
trade association formerly known as the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers
Association, which has a new name that escapes me right now. The "new
house" comes from the Census Bureau.

My point was not to discredit the BLS's figures by any means. I was saying
that by measuring the wage unit against the costs of actual important
items, the evidence is that the CPI understates inflation, if anything.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer