Michael I doubt that James Wolfensohn would have been as crudely
honest as your source suggests. He's slick as they come.

But on low-paid jobs, he did muddle into a little controversy when the
Bank's mid-1995 World Development Report on labour markets came
under intense criticism from trade unionists across the globe. Among
other neoliberal attacks on workers' living conditions, it recommended
dropping minimum wages and it accused unions of monopolisation.

When asked about the report at a press conference sponsored by
Oxfam-Interaction-Favdo a few months later, Wolfensohn was
practically speechless.

Journalist:  "To what extent, along with the changes taking place, the
Bank will give emphasis to this area of workers' rights and workers
being able to participate fully and recognizing basically the ILO
conventions, the core conventions of non-discrimination, lack of forced
labor, lack of child labor, and these very important issues that have to do
with workers' rights and also women's rights, to what extent these are
being given emphasis in the changes that are taking place?"

Wolfensohn:  "I think it would take too long [to answer]. I think the World
Development Report does indicate that the Bank's -- it's a very
well-argued document. It's a -- has nothing to do with me. I inherited it,
and I'm thrilled that I did. I think it shows a recognition of the issues in a
way much more visible and with much more support from the Bank than
you've ever seen before. And my belief is that you'll see a lot of
progress from the Bank."

The Bank was subsequently accused by Chinese democracy activist
Harry Wu of financing projects which contribute to forced labour in
China. They are now talking a bit about labour standards.