On Wednesday, April 16, 1997, at 1:34 PM Jim Devine wrote >>
Dave Richardson's recent missive (and an L.A. TIMES column by Robert
Kuttner, Dec. 6, 1996) suggests the following: If one wants to measure
the
cost of living over time, why not divide the nominal consumer spending
by
the Genuine Progress Indicator, which is supposed to be a measure of
the
real benefit actually produced by our economy for people. (It's the
standard formula for an average price level: money spent/use-value
received.) The GPI adjusts real GDP figures for a lot of things such
as
environmental degradation, etc. <<

I think that this is the right idea.  With resources it should be
possible to develop the GPI into a more widely accepted statistic.

Dave Richardson