If by "Canada" in the last paragraph below you mean the Canadian
government, it seems to me this suggestion is very wrong. Ottawa plays the
soft cop while Washington is hard cop. Look at Ottawa's position on the
'pilots to the rescue' incident.  However, they insist on the right to
continue to profit wherever they like, including in Cuba where they have
the advantage of no US competition. The latter is one of the benefits
of being the soft cop. I can't agree Ottawa's position on Cuba reflects
any sympathy or identification with the Cuban revolution. It shows their
determination to defend independent Canadian imperialist interests.

Bill Burgess

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would like to thank Shawgi for posting Fidel's speech and
> the Granma article on the net.  I would also like to point out,
> in furtherence of his previous posting about Walmart's decision
> to take Cuban made PJ's out of their Canadian stores, that the
> company under Canadian pressure decided to sell Cuban PJs again
> but that now the American government is again trying to enforce
> US law in Canada by pressuring (prosecuting?) Walmart's American
> head office.  This is the most intolerable form of American
> imperialism that I can imagine.  It disgusts me that Americans
> put up with such clearly anti-humane behaviour on the part of
> their government.
>
> I suspect that one of the major reasons why Canada has continued
> to support Cuba is that we would like to have the guts to stand up
> to the American bully, but that since we don't, we will cheer on
> the little guy who has the courage to do so.  If this is so,
> "Three cheers!".
>
> Paul Phillips,
> Economics,
> University of Manitoba