In general I agree with Bill Cochrane's comments on Marilyn Waring.
She was after all elected as a National Party member of Parliament.
At that stage in its life, National was Tory in the most
traditional way: socially and economically reactionary, though
not yet globalist or anti-interventionist. However I wouldn't be quite
as dismissive as Bill C. She does have useful and thoughtful things
to say about issues such as feminism and of course the feminist
economics that started this discussion. I suppose my view is partly
coloured by the fact that New Zealand is currently a desert when
looking for people who are willing to speak out with anything
significantly different from the current market-is-god form of
political correctness.

I wouldn't go as far as Bill C. on Helen Clark, leader of
the Labour Party. She is undoubtedly intelligent and hard working.
But she is also willing to put up with central aspects of her
party's policy which would negate any remnants of social democratic
conscience. She was, after all, a prominent figure in the
Lange/Douglas cabinet. There are equally hard working but
more principled women in the Alliance I'd nominate in her place. And
of course Jane Kelsey.

Marilyn Waring certainly wasn't the only woman in Parliament. It's a
very long time, 60 years or so, since there was only one woman in
the New Zealand Parliament. She may well have been the only woman in
the National Party caucus though, and being a radical woman
amongst a bunch of dyed-in-the-wool tory chauvinists of the old
school would have been an alienating experience to put it mildly.

Bill Rosenberg