At 11:43 AM -0800 3/4/97, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Doug,
>
>In your latest LBO, you note that businesses' internal funds reached 109% of
>fixed capital, yet firm's still borrow an average of 32% of "capex" and rely
>little on stocks to finance expansion of plant and equipment.
>
>My question is: what does the 32% of borrowing represent?  Is it a "mix"
>problem, ie. utilities use long-term debt but GM and GE do not?

There's some of that, but lots of the borrowing in the 1980s was used to
fund M&A and stock buybacks. More micro-oriented studies (these numbers
come from the flow of funds) show manufacturers of all sizes to be financed
overwhelmingly by internal funds.

I certainly don't deny that outside finance can be important, even crucial,
to individual firms at certain times. My major point in bringing this up -
which I go into at tedious length in my book (Wall Street, Verso, May/June
1997, ISBN 0-86091-495-X; visit
http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Book_info.html for more info) - is that a
massive and expensive financial apparatus has bloated up around what is
essentially a surprisingly modest need for intermediation.

>Also, stock analysts like Ed Yardeni & Abbey Cohen claim that we are entering
>a "new era" where traditional stock measures (e.g. PE ratios) are no longer
>meaningful.

They would say that, now, wouldn't they? They work for stockbrokers.

Greenspan's Humphrey-Hawkins testimony last week was extremely hawkish -
far more than anyone seems to have noticed. He's definitely preparing the
markets for the hammer.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood