Actually, there is a rather large grouping of literature in main stream
industrial organization which deals with different aspects of advertising.
 The following cites are from photo copies articles and don't always have
dates and journal, but they give author and title (all are, however, at least
20 years old).

Phillip Nelson from the State University of New York at Binghamton
"Information and Consumer Behavior."  JOURNAL OF POLITICAL ECONOMY probably
published 1970-71.

Phillip Nelson, "Advertising as Information" in JPE probably mid 1970s.

William S. Comanor and Thomas A. Wilson, "Advertising, Market Structure and
Performance" THE REVIEW OF ECONOMICS AND STATISTICS, November, 1967, pp. 423
- 440

Harry Bloch from the University of Manitoba, "Advertising and Profitability:
A Reappraisal" in the JOURNAL OF POLITICAL ECONOMY probably in the mid-1970s.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]