Colin,

A late response,

As far as I know the resident Radical Economist expert on this subject
(at least for the U.S. - though I believe she's also looked at this in
other countries) is Theressa Carlducci (or something close to this - ) at
Notre Dame Univ., Economics Dept.

I think she just co-authored a book on this.

Hope this is helpful,

Ron Baiman
Roosevelt Univ., Chicago