Max Sawicky writes,

>Self-interest pervades all human behavior ..., so I don't see how
>you can imagine a movement which leaders or people in authority did
>not seek to exploit for some narrow purpose. The real question is
>how the process can work to yield constructive reform.

Well, here's an unexamined and bourgeois (read neoclassical economics)
assumption about human nature. History shows literally countless examples
of altruistic and selfless behavior, by mothers, fathers, children,
these examples just reflect the self-interest (i.e. preferences) of those
particular individuals reduces "self-interest" to a meaningless tautology:
everything people do, whatever it is, is self-interested by assumption.
This means, of course, that self-interest explains absolutely nothing and
can in no way assist us in understanding the motivations of individuals or
groups.

On the other hand, if by "self-interest" you mean people always put
themselves and their own immediate concerns first, before the needs,
concerns and well-being of others, then your statement is demonstrably
false.

I'm aware that you didn't say "self-interest "rules" all human behavior,"
you just said "pervades." But this is equally meaningless, as in any case
it provides us with no ability to understand, explain, or predict.

Max, could you be just a *little* more theoretically self-conscious, please?

Blair

Blair Sandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "They say that it's never too late,
        but you know you don't get any younger.
        Well I better learn how to
        starve the emptiness and feed the hunger.

                        -- Indigo Girls