I totally agree with Louis Proyect that Elster's presentation and critique
of Marx is either almost or totally worthless. His opus, MAKING HASH OF
MARX, seems nothing but a collection of errors. I haven't had the patience
to read the whole book. But every time I have dug into it in order to get
an understanding of some issue in Marx or Marxism, I find that Elster has
misinterpreted Marx, usually seeing Marx as a Ricardian, a
structural-functionalist, an Althusserian, or a crude advocate of Stalinist
"histomat." Some of his errors are simply technical, like confusing the
differences in the value-creating ability of different labors (that arise
from skill differences) with the differences in the value of labor-power
(that arise from skill differences among workers).

However, when he stops considering Marx or Marxism, his ideas can sometimes
be useful to helping us develop a more complete analysis. Though I wish he
were a more fluid writer, THE CEMENT OF SOCIETY and NUTS AND BOLTS FOR THE
SOCIAL SCIENCES are useful in this limited way, for dealing with issues
concerning the "collective action problem."

That problem seems quite relevant today: after all, the opposition to
capitalism is very fragmented, indeed atomistic, in not only organization
but consciousness, and it's damn hard to bring it all together. There's a
big "free rider problem," where the incentive is to let other people
struggle against the system and reap the benefits if they succeed. This is
by no means a perfect description of reality (because people are _not_
totally individualistic, even in the kingdom of individualism, the US of
A), but it does say something about reality.

I understand that Elster has moved away from his extremely reductionist
individualism in recent years. He has also moved away from his earlier
(partial) sympathy with the Marxian project. I guess he's ended up moving
in the "communitarian" direction, in which the emphasis is on the conflict
between "moral cement of society" and individualism and the need to
restrict the latter with the former. An extreme version of that view can be
found in theocracy...

On G.A. Cohen, I can't understand why he was ever popular. How could anyone
defend histomat with such vigor? The only worthwhile stuff I could find in
his "defense" of Marx's theory of history (how structural-functionalism
might actually make some sense) turned out to have been presented by the
mainstream sociologist Arthur Stinchecombe a decade or more previously.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.