Here are the basics on the LA Living Wage ordinance.

        It sets a minimum wage of $7.25 for employees of three types:

        1.  Those working on city contracts.  Only the workers on the
contract itself are affected.  The initial provision--and the one we
estimated--included all workers at firms with city contracts.  Obviously,
this was a big concession to scale back coverage that way.  It also makes it
much more difficult and expensive to monitor the provision.

        2.  Workers at firms receiving city subsidies of over $100,000 per
year or over $1 million total.

        3.  Workers at firms having city concessions, like at the airport,
or harbour.

        In addition, if any workers below $8.50 an hour do not have health
coverage, the companies will have to either get them coverage or pay them a
wage of $8.50.

        Finally, there are a significant number of vacation/sick days
included, I think something like 11 in the final version.

        As I mentioned, the direct impact is small, i.e. about 5,000
workers.  But it should also push wage norms up, as we stated openly in our
study.  Certainly within the affected firms, you will now have some workers
getting $7.25 for doing the same work as someone getting $5.75.  The $5.75
workers will have a good case for a raise.  So, in fact, will the current
$7.25 workers and up.  We estimated "wage contour" effects for workers up to
$11.50.  In this case, the indirect breadth of coverage will be much wider.
We'll see.

        Several people have asked me for copies of our study.  I appreciate
the interest.  But it is about 150 pages long.  The LA Living Wage coalition
has been sending them out, but they might be reluctant to keep doing so
after the fact.  You can reach them at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  I am also going to
follow up on Anders' suggestion and look into putting it on the web, or
accept his invitation to do so.

        Anyway, it is a tremendous victory, especially given the virulent
opposition of business and the mayor.

-- Bob Pollin